Custom Reports-Group Count

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

JRGlover

Custom Reports-Group Count

Post by JRGlover »

1. I have created a Family Grouped custom report with a family picture and selected family data (group band) and individual data (detail band). I have figured out how to use an optional summary band and have a count "status.desc" field in the summary band that works fine for counting individuals. But I need to also count the "family groups" so that I have both the total individuals and total families in the report. Is this a variable or something else? Step-by-step appreciated.

2. Microsoft's extended support for PowerChurch's underlying database program Visual FoxPro ended 1/31/15. What's the future for PowerChurch, major upgrade coming?

3. Many thanks for the Forum and the detailed responses! Happy user for eight years.

NeilZ

Re: Custom Reports-Group Count

Post by NeilZ »

JRGlover wrote:1. I have created a Family Grouped custom report with a family picture and selected family data (group band) and individual data (detail band). I have figured out how to use an optional summary band and have a count "status.desc" field in the summary band that works fine for counting individuals. But I need to also count the "family groups" so that I have both the total individuals and total families in the report. Is this a variable or something else? Step-by-step appreciated.

2. Microsoft's extended support for PowerChurch's underlying database program Visual FoxPro ended 1/31/15. What's the future for PowerChurch, major upgrade coming?

3. Many thanks for the Forum and the detailed responses! Happy user for eight years.
1. It will be a variable, and you will be increasing it by one whenever a new family group is begun. Obviously you have something that tracks when a new family group should start, you'll then create a variable much like the one used in this Knowledgebase Article for presentcount.

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/224 ... unt-report

2. There is a future for Powerchurch, however, even though MS is not supporting Foxpro, it has been a very stable platform for a number of years, and since PCPlus works fine on Win10, V11.55 will be viable for the next few years.

Please remember that Powerchurch is a small company with about 7 to 10 programmers (If I remember right). They not only have to find a viable (and cost effective) platform, update the user interface, redesign and normalize the database; they also work on Maintenance Releases for v11.1 & 11.55, as well as feature additions in those MRs. When they are close to an alpha test of any new version, I suspect that they will put a request for testers, but I have not heard or seen anything on this.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

JRGlover

Post by JRGlover »

I added an "Directory Sequence" Output Field to the query table. In the report Summary Band I added a new Field>>Expression>>IIF(pers_no=1,1,0)>>Calculation Type: SUM>>Reset: Report. It worked since each family has at least one member.

Does PC's $50 training video on Custom Reports cover the Expression Builder functions, variables and syntax at this advanced level of detail? Is there any other reference material suggested? Thanks, John G.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

JRGlover wrote:I added an "Directory Sequence" Output Field to the query table. In the report Summary Band I added a new Field>>Expression>>IIF(pers_no=1,1,0)>>Calculation Type: SUM>>Reset: Report. It worked since each family has at least one member.

Does PC's $50 training video on Custom Reports cover the Expression Builder functions, variables and syntax at this advanced level of detail? Is there any other reference material suggested? Thanks, John G.
John,

I'm not sure, but give a call to the Powerchurch number and I'm sure they can fill you in with all the details.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

The training video series covers the expression builder in quite a bit of detail and the report examples we build give a lot of different usable examples of different programming functions. The training video series also includes a PDF reference document that steps through each of the reports we created as well as a fairly complete reference to all the logic and programming functions.