Page Header Custom Report

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ccarr

Page Header Custom Report

Post by ccarr »

I have created my first custom report in Power Church. I have two questions to complete the report. 1) Can you print the Page Header on the first page only of the report? 2) In the query, one of the filters is the Visit Area. In my query, I coded the Visit Area to "ask later". That way I did not have to do different query/reports for each area. (Five of them.) However, the problem is the Page Header. I would like to print the Visit Area as part of the Page Header. Can I insert a field in the page header and do an expression to print the proper Visit Area? Can you give me some assistance as to how this expression would read? Thanks for your help.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Page Header Custom Report

Post by Zorak »

The Page Header will print at the top of every page. There is a Title Header that you can add which prints only once. In the Report Designer, right click on one of the gray bands and choose "Optional Bands". Check the "Report has Title Band" option.

If you have included the Visit Area Description (listed as visit_desc in the Report Designer) in your list of output fields, then you can drag that field up into the Page Header band or the new Title band. If you want to add more text to that, something like "My Report for Visit Area X", double click the visit_desc field and change the expression to:

Code: Select all

"My Report for " + visit_desc
If you will have more text after the visit_desc field, you will want to trim the spaces off that field with an ALLTRIM command:

Code: Select all

"My Report for " + ALLTRIM(visit_desc) + " - All Members"

ccarr

Post by ccarr »

Thanks for your prompt reply. I believe I can do all of that. A question though. If I add an output field to the query, will I need to reformat the entire report? This is the reason I didn't do separate custom reports for each Visit Area. After copying the original query/report, changing one filter (to the new visit area) and renaming it, I discovered that I had to edit the entire report once more. Unless there was something that I missed.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Adding the Visit Area Description to the list of output fields and referencing it by the field name "visit_desc" in the expression will keep you from having to create different reports. If you are prompting for which Visit Area to include each time you run the report, it will reference that selected value in the report.

ccarr

Post by ccarr »

Thank you again for your assistance. I put the suggestions in place yesterday and my custom report is now completed. :D