Show a child's parents

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Show a child's parents

Post by Zorak »

jmichell wrote:Hi.
So I'm using a custom report to extract all the people in our database who have a status of Child/Youth, so that we can create Church School registration forms that have the known information preprinted in them.
i'm using the XLS file format, so the RE folks can do a mail merge with the word document that is the registration form.
it's easy enough to get the child's name and the family's household key, mailing address and phone numbers.
But now I want to list the names of the child's parents (Directory Sequence numbers 1 and 2) along with their work numbers, cellphones, and email addresses. i'd like this info to do on the same output row so the mail merge happens right.
Can this be done?
Thanks.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

The output you are requesting is possible to achieve using the Custom Reports module. However, it will require that some pretty complex grouping and variables are put to use. This happens on the report form itself, which is completely bypassed when you choose the output type of Excel spreadsheet. The information that is saved to Excel format is raw, unformatted, ungrouped data from the database.

So, in short, yes it is possible to do in a custom report, but no it is not possible in an excel spreadsheet intended for a mail merge.