Not getting all records

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

lindahardesty

Not getting all records

Post by lindahardesty »

I just started using PCPlus, but have lots of experience with FileMaker Pro.

I followed the instructions in

http://www.powerchurch.com/support/answ ... icle_id=25.

as best I understood them, but I get only one record per family from my query. I'm using "household key lastname is not empty". I checked that there are multiple records in the personal profiles of many of the records, but I only get one. My form does have some fields from the profiles, such as profile first name.

Any suggestions?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

I believe the problem you are seeing is due to step 9 in that document, where records for each family member are grouped together on the family. For the sake of making a church directory, you only want one record per family and then lists each family member.

Without that grouping, you would get all of the family information repeated for each family member. Such as:

Code: Select all

Household Key: John Smith Family
Address: 123 Main St
C,S,Z: Asheville, NC 28806
Name: John Smith
Birthday: 01/05/1967

Name: Jane Smith
Birthday: 05/03/1968

Name: Johnny Smith
Birthday: 04/15/1998

Name: Sarah Smith
Birthday: 09/16/2001
Instead of everything being grouped, such as:

Code: Select all

Name(s): 
John Smith (01/05/1967)
Jane Smith (05/03/1968)
Johnny Smith (04/15/1998)
Sarah Smith (09/16/2001)
Hope that helps!

lindahardesty

Only one record per family, with only one person (profile)

Post by lindahardesty »

Thanks - that's not quite the problem. I only get one record per family, and that record has the profile first name and birth date of only one person, even when there are several people in the family. The others don't appear anywhere in the report.

NeilZ

Re: Only one record per family, with only one person (profil

Post by NeilZ »

lindahardesty wrote:Thanks - that's not quite the problem. I only get one record per family, and that record has the profile first name and birth date of only one person, even when there are several people in the family. The others don't appear anywhere in the report.
Are you filtering by personal profile status code by any chance ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

lindahardesty

Post by lindahardesty »

No - the only criterium in the filter is that the Last Name key field isn't blank.

Another user told me that for some reason there have to be certain fields in the filter and the grouping, including "Directory Sequence". Does anyone know where to find detailed documentation for Custom Reports?

NeilZ wrote:
lindahardesty wrote:Thanks - that's not quite the problem. I only get one record per family, and that record has the profile first name and birth date of only one person, even when there are several people in the family. The others don't appear anywhere in the report.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

lindahardesty wrote:No - the only criterium in the filter is that the Last Name key field isn't blank.

Another user told me that for some reason there have to be certain fields in the filter and the grouping, including "Directory Sequence". Does anyone know where to find detailed documentation for Custom Reports?

NeilZ wrote:
There is documention on Custom Reports in the user's manual, as well as a set of tutorials that you can buy from Powerchurch.

However, if you were using the directions on designing the directory from the link you provided, you should have already included the directory sequence in the grouping.

Just a quick question, this custom directory basically mimics what is already available as a standard report, what additional info do you need to include ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Following the document that you referenced will get all of your records, no matter what personal status code, mailing category, or anything else. It doesn't even pay attention to the "Include in membership module reports" field in the Family Mailing List.

Take a look back through your settings, specifically the grouping in step 9. Make sure that you are grouping on firstname_a. That's the Household Key First Name. Firstname_b is the Personal Profile first name.

Make sure that your report layout looks like the screenshot in the document. Having fields sitting in the wrong "band" like "group footer" or "detail" can also cause the results you are seeing.

lindahardesty

Post by lindahardesty »

We are creating a form, one family per page, for folks to fill in and correct the info we already have. There will be several more fields once I get the basic format working.
NeilZ wrote:There is documention on Custom Reports in the user's manual, as well as a set of tutorials that you can buy from Powerchurch.

However, if you were using the directions on designing the directory from the link you provided, you should have already included the directory sequence in the grouping.

Just a quick question, this custom directory basically mimics what is already available as a standard report, what additional info do you need to include ??

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

lindahardesty wrote:We are creating a form, one family per page, for folks to fill in and correct the info we already have. There will be several more fields once I get the basic format working.
NeilZ wrote:There is documention on Custom Reports in the user's manual, as well as a set of tutorials that you can buy from Powerchurch.

Aha ... we just use the family master report ... its fairily understandable, and we're put together a small set of instructions to attach to it. Works fairly well.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

Make sure you are not putting all your fields in the group header or footer. These band only print once per group. Information about individuals should appear in the detail band. The detail band prints for each record.