Sometimes I get a error while working on a C.R.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

John Dykema

Sometimes I get a error while working on a C.R.

Post by John Dykema »

I sure hope you can help or explain to me: occasionally I get an error box when I'm editing a query program. Recently I got a missing function error for a date variable I just created.
My biggest beef is that it gives two options? Redo the form, and Cancel. It's a catch 22 because if I cancel I can't ever get back in to the Edit routine. If you Redo- it blows away all your work. Boy is that a bummer. I've learned to make progressive copies of the query as I'm working with it, but there should be an easier way to get back into it to fix the error.
Anyone have any info on this situation?
We are using PC+ v.11 with the latest upgrades, Win XP Pro, and 5 networked pc's.
We have 569 communicant and baptized members.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

When building expressions in Custom Reports, I use the "Verify" button as frequently as possible. This allows you to fix any syntax errors when they happen, rather than finding out when the report is trashed by them later.

There are ways, using the Database Manager, to modify a report that has "gone bad" in that way. That is something that we should be able to help with if you need it.

While there are other things that can go wrong to cause this to happen to a report, most of the time, I have found that syntax errors, or mismatched value types (example: UPPER(DATE) ) are most often the culprit.