Importing Custom reports

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

John Dykema

Importing Custom reports

Post by John Dykema »

I exported all the CRs from church to a diskette, took it home and Imported them to my computer. Low and behold I ended up with two filenames of every Report, exactly the same. I didn't think that was possible. Can anyone explain that one?
Thanks.
We are using PC+ v.11 with the latest upgrades, Win XP Pro, and 5 networked pc's.
We have 569 communicant and baptized members.

NeilZ

Re: Importing Custom reports

Post by NeilZ »

John Dykema wrote:I exported all the CRs from church to a diskette, took it home and Imported them to my computer. Low and behold I ended up with two filenames of every Report, exactly the same. I didn't think that was possible. Can anyone explain that one?
Thanks.
Did you already have some of these reports on your system ?? I've seen where the import function adds another one of the same name even though there is one there. It could be due to the fact that the report names in the database are created at different times.

What I usually did in this case was delete all the reports on the system, then reimport.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

Yes, Neil, I had all the same CRs on my home pc as at church. They must have a different time stamp on them and maybe that is why it creates two of them. Is this a bug?
Your idea about deleting all of them and reimporting sounds good too.
Previous to this importing I just did a Save of Custom Reports and then did a Restore with only the CRs on the diskette and never had a duplication problem.
Which way would you recommend doing: Export/Import or Save/Restore?
We are using PC+ v.11 with the latest upgrades, Win XP Pro, and 5 networked pc's.
We have 569 communicant and baptized members.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

John Dykema wrote:Yes, Neil, I had all the same CRs on my home pc as at church. They must have a different time stamp on them and maybe that is why it creates two of them. Is this a bug?
Your idea about deleting all of them and reimporting sounds good too.
Previous to this importing I just did a Save of Custom Reports and then did a Restore with only the CRs on the diskette and never had a duplication problem.
Which way would you recommend doing: Export/Import or Save/Restore?
FWIW ... anytime you do a save, the system backs up all the custom reports, so they are restored to whatever location you restore to.

I'd go that way, as then you'll have an up-to-date database as well.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

If import a custom report and you already have that report on your system, you will get a duplicate of that report. The import/export process is designed to move a report to a different copy of PowerChurch with separate data.

As Neil pointed out, the custom reports are also included in the all files backups, so you have restored an all files backup, you will have all the custom reports as well.