Profile Notes prints "memo" or "Memo"

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

GDeiChurch

Profile Notes prints "memo" or "Memo"

Post by GDeiChurch »

I am creating a custom report from Personal Profiles to export into an Excel spreadsheet. One of the fields needed is the comments that have been recorded in the Profile Notes field. When I run the report to the screen before creating the spreadsheet, instead of the actual notes, I get the word "memo". Sometimes it is capitalized, most often it is not. It appears that when "memo" is capitalized is when there is a comment in the field.

Then, when I go ahead and create the Excel spreadsheet, the field doesn't export at all.

Is there anyway to get these notes printed and exported?

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

Memo, or unlimited notes fields, won't export to Excel. The reason is the notes fields could contain 1,000s of characters in them. I was able to create a dbase 3 export file from the custom reports and then import it into excel 2007 using the Data, Get External Data from Other sources. I used the Data Connection Wizard connecting to an ODBC connection.

GDeiChurch

Post by GDeiChurch »

Jeff wrote:Memo, or unlimited notes fields, won't export to Excel. The reason is the notes fields could contain 1,000s of characters in them. I was able to create a dbase 3 export file from the custom reports and then import it into excel 2007 using the Data, Get External Data from Other sources. I used the Data Connection Wizard connecting to an ODBC connection.
Ok thanks, I'll give that a try. I still don't understand why when I run the query to the screen, only the word "memo" shows for all of the records no matter if I'm exporting to Excel or if I'm simply running a report. Nor why when I run the same query to a standard report, the column doesn't appear on the report either. :?

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

The memo fields were meant to hold paragraphs of information, like these forum posts. That is why they are not included in the excel export, typically you wouldn't want to paragraphs in excel. The actual export is controled from the programming language that we use and there is not much we could do to change this behaviour.

As far as why they are not showing on the report. If you have more fields than can be displayed in one row, you will have manually add the missing fields. Since memo fields are meant to display paragraphs, their default field width is very wide, so most likely if you more than one other field, you are not going to have enough room in the row to get the memo field listed. You can do one of two things. First add the memo field in the edit layout. Second, switch the report from a column layout to a form layout. This will list wach field on a separate row. You can then go into the edit form and reposition the fields to where you want to see them.

GDeiChurch

Post by GDeiChurch »

Jeff wrote:The memo fields were meant to hold paragraphs of information, like these forum posts. That is why they are not included in the excel export, typically you wouldn't want to paragraphs in excel. The actual export is controled from the programming language that we use and there is not much we could do to change this behaviour.

As far as why they are not showing on the report. If you have more fields than can be displayed in one row, you will have manually add the missing fields. Since memo fields are meant to display paragraphs, their default field width is very wide, so most likely if you more than one other field, you are not going to have enough room in the row to get the memo field listed. You can do one of two things. First add the memo field in the edit layout. Second, switch the report from a column layout to a form layout. This will list wach field on a separate row. You can then go into the edit form and reposition the fields to where you want to see them.
Got it! Luckily there aren't that many comments in there so I am manually adding them to my Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is for our Stewardship Committee to work with to contact inactive members. The comment field will let them know if there are any extenuating circumstances they should be aware of. And also to put their comments into once the members have been contacted.

Thanks for your help!