Custom Report no longer works after maintenance release

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ckmitchell7

Custom Report no longer works after maintenance release

Post by ckmitchell7 »

I had posted about this in Dec but never followed up. I included all possible fields in the output and now i can run the query but I am being told that there are missing output fields & my only option is to erase the report & re-create it. I spent many hours creating and tweaking the report and don't think I can do it again. What can I do? PS. i tried to attach a screenshot of the error & it wouldn't let me.

NeilZ

Re: Custom Report no longer works after maintenance release

Post by NeilZ »

mjanders15 wrote:I had posted about this in Dec but never followed up. I included all possible fields in the output and now i can run the query but I am being told that there are missing output fields & my only option is to erase the report & re-create it. I spent many hours creating and tweaking the report and don't think I can do it again. What can I do? PS. i tried to attach a screenshot of the error & it wouldn't let me.
Have you tried doing a copy of the report, then work with the new copy ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ckmitchell7

Post by ckmitchell7 »

I made a copy of the report & tried working with the new copy. It completely wiped out the form I had created. It is telling me the following output table fields are missing:

QMF_TEMP.CITY.ZIP
QMF_TEMP.FIRSTNAME_B
QMF_TEMP.E_MAIL
QMF_TEMP.MEPHN3
QMF_TEMP.PHONE1

Obviously, they were there at one time because the report used to work.What happened? Is there any way I can get in to edit the report without having to start over.

I have added all possible fields to my report.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

mjanders15 wrote:QMF_TEMP.CITY.ZIP
This should be QMF_TEMP.CITY_ZIP
mjanders15 wrote:QMF_TEMP.FIRSTNAME_B
This is actually relative. If you have both the family first name and personal profile first name in the report, whichever one it hits first will be called FIRSTNAME_A. The second will be FIRSTNAME_B. If you originally had both firstname fields in the report, but then removed one of them, then the field name would be updated to just FIRSTNAME without an A or B on the end.
mjanders15 wrote:QMF_TEMP.E_MAIL
If you have both the family and personal profile e-mail address used in the report, it will also name them _A and _B as it does with the FIRSTNAME field above
mjanders15 wrote:QMF_TEMP.MEPHN3
QMF_TEMP.PHONE1
There doesn't seem to be an issue with the syntax of either of these fields. It sounds like they are just not output in the report.

ckmitchell7

Post by ckmitchell7 »

In working with the copied report I noticed that the field names had been changed from "QMF_TEMP" to "qmftry".

Can anyone tell me how this happened? Was it something I did or Power Church did? I know the trouble started after a maintenance release but I was assured that Power Church would not change the names of its fields.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Right. The Maintenance Release will replace the program executable file and will replace any of the built-in Crystal Reports that have been updated. It will not affect any of your data files (custom reports are all stored in the database).

What is the status of the original report? It sounds like you are working in the copy now, which we know didn't fix the problem.

ckmitchell7

Post by ckmitchell7 »

The status of the original report is that it is still telling me the output fields are missing. I have added every single field to my report. It seems that the maintenance release changed the names of the fields, e.g., QMF_TEMP.E_MAIL is now qmftry.e_mail. The report is telling me that I have fields on my output form that don't exist. Instead of just letting me edit the form and fix the missing fields, it wants me to erase it and have me start all over.

Obviously, these fields were there at one time because the report used to work.

I am extremely frustrated with Power Church. This is not something that comes easily to me. I am not a programmer. I spent many days getting a report exactly right for the needs of our church. I spent hours looking up how to create the report and now the whole thing is undone by a maintenance release. They don't even have an option to edit the form-just erase and start over.

Is there anything I can do?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

I will send an e-mail to you through the forum here with instructions on how to send those reports in for us to look at.

Adding all the output fields to the report probably caused at least two of the problems, as explained above, if you have multiple firstname fields, multiple e_mail fields, and various others that are duplicated between Family Mailing List and Personal Profiles, it will cause the field names to change (adding an _A and _B on the end of the field name).

The program ignores the QMF_TEMP and qmftry labels. Those are added automatically when you choose the field from a list instead of just typing in the field name, but won't cause the field to be "missing" from the report.

Just to clarify, the Maintenance Release will not break your reports. Follow the instructions in the e-mail that I send to you here in a couple of minutes and I will take a look at the reports for you and see if I can't undo whatever broke them.