How to add pictures to a custom directory

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

John Dykema

Re: How to add pictures to a custom directory

Post by John Dykema »

OK, things are looking up. Bear in mind again that we print one family per sheet of paper.
I am able, now, to eliminate those without a picture.
Problem is that the next few people that DO have a picture all show up on one sheet of paper, and there is no photo for any of them. Eventually, things straighten out again and it prints normally until such time that there's another family without a pic. Then it's followed by several families on one sheet + no picture. Over and over.
What am I doing wrong?

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

I am using that Right(alltrim.......funtion and, yeh, it is getting rid of those without a pic. However, with the next several people (with a pic), I get several on one sheet(instead of single sheets) AND no picture as well. The address and kids do print up. A few records later and it prints just fine again until there's another without a picture.
Note: We print one family per sheet (landscaped). Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
BTW, when I use the right(alltrim.... funtion, I don't have to include the "CODE:Select all" line, do I?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

OK, this is about to get really technical. Be warned :lol:

By the way, the "CODE: Select All" is a function of this forum script. It allows you to more easily copy the code that was listed. To answer your question: No, you don't need to insert "CODE: Select All" into your report.

In the Report Designer, go to Report > Data Grouping. Make sure that your family group is set to "Group Starts On: New Line" instead of New Page. Starting the group on a new page will frequently leave you with blank pages in the mix, if you are excluding entire groups using Print When conditions. When something goes wrong in the page break process, you end up with the kind of problems that you are seeing, with things not working properly.

There is another setting on the Data Grouping page, below the "Group Starts On" stuff to "Start group on new page when less than: 0.000 in". This field can be used to start each group on a new page. Just set the number of inches high enough that a new page will be used if anything has been displayed on the current page. For example, if your family picture is approximately 2" tall and the report is printing in portrait layout, meaning the height of the page is 11", set this field to 10".

Of course, you will need to play around with it to find the right number for your layout. Hopefully this fixes your issue.

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

Thanks Zorak. I've tried all these things but without success. I'm ready to make an incedent tech support call. I'll have to pay the $30 (or whatever it is) so do you think they can solve my problem over the phone? I don't want to pay out if I can't be sure of a solution (I've been down that road with Dell).
Thanks for your help.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

I will send you an e-mail through the forum with a possible solution.

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

OK, after months of planning, programming, and getting lot of help from you guys, we are ready to start printing. We've talked to a printing service who said they could use a CS file and print it rather than us printing it at church. I ran a test, choosing Disk-file. I printed a few record but there are no photos and the fonts are different. Am I missing some steps?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

If you choose any other output type other than the reports, it side-steps everything you have done in the Report Designer. For example, if you output to an excel file, you will get columns and rows of the raw data.

The solution is to send your printers a PDF. If you do not have Adobe Professional to create and edit PDFs, there are tons of free PDF printers on the internet. These applications basically install as one of your printers. When you print the report to the PDF printer, a window will pop up asking where you want to save the file.

Here is the google search link for "free pdf printer":
http://www.google.com/search?q=free+pdf+printer