Unable to Void Payroll Check

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

1stAssembly

Unable to Void Payroll Check

Post by 1stAssembly »

I recently set up a new employee in payroll who had previously been paid through accounts payable as a temporary person. (I am using version 9) I had written 2 previous checks out to him in accounts payable that should have been paid through payroll. I had his first payroll check printed with no deductions when he returned his W-4 so I decided to void that check and process a new check with the appropriate deductions. I then went back and voided the AP checks and added the first 2 as manual checks in payroll. Both checks voided fine out of accounts payable and the two checks added manually in payroll to replace these checks look fine. The payroll check with no deductions voided fine as well. I don't remember getting any error when I processed the new payroll check with deductions but something apparently went wrong somewhere. That check printed out fine but now as I am doing month reports, I am seeing problems. The payroll check shows up just fine in Fund Accounting but something is wrong in Payroll. The deductions are showing up incorrectly in just PR for this check. I tried to void the check and start over with it but it says it cannot find the check in PR. This check shows up on the selected payroll data report but with the incorrect deductions. This report shows the federal deduction amount 3 times and no state deduction. The deductions are also shown this incorrectly on the payroll item summary report. But when I do a payroll check amounts report the check does not appear on this report at all. I don't understand why this check shows up on some reports (with incorrect deductions) and not at all on others or why the system won't allow me to void it.

JohnDMeyers

Re: Unable to Void Payroll Check

Post by JohnDMeyers »

My recollection of version 9, which is pretty fuzzy, is that you could void a check from Fund Accounting. Therefore, if the check is not posted in Fund Accounting, it cannot be voided.

In Payroll, take a look at which Pay Items you have assigned to the employee. It may be that you have assigned the Fed W/H more than once to the employee.

In Payroll, look at the Item Descriptions for State W/H and Fed W/H. Make sure you have assigned Fund Accounting numbers to each item. If not, the information will not be passed to Fund Accounting.

Let me know what you find.
You can watch my PowerChurch tutorials now on YouTube!

Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/EmpowerYour ... ture=watch

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Just a suggestion .. you may want to talk to your church board about upgrading to the latest version 11.5 of Powerchurch. Version 9 is no longer being maintained, and any problems that can't be fixed via the forum, you'll have to pay to have fixed, or live with.

The upgrade is worth the small price you pay, with the increased functionality, and the complete revamp of the Payroll module.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

1stAssembly

Post by 1stAssembly »

I don't think that Version 9 allows you to void checks in Fund Accounting. Any way I didn't try to void it there since it won't affect what's in Payroll. The check in question is showing up in FA and comes through on all my FA reports correctly. When I do an account activity report, all the tax liability accounts have the correct amounts.

It is only in Payroll that I seem to have the problem. I have the pay items and item descriptions set up properly. It is in PR that the amount of federal withholdings is tripled on just this one check and no state withholdings are shown on this check. The check seems to show up on all payroll reports with the wrong withholding amounts except the payroll check amounts report, where the check doesn't show up at all.

Yearend is what I guess I am mostly worried about at this point so I tried to run W2's to see what happened. The withholdings for this employee on the W2 is including the check Payroll won't let me void and using the wrong withholding figures that payroll is showing and not what is shown in Fund Accounting. The only thing I know to do at this point is just manually correct the W2 yearend and hope I don't need payroll reports for other purposes.

I have already asked our board to try to update to the new version after the first of the year. Our accounting was abruptly handed over to me about a year ago and I have just been trying to learn on the job the system as is before throwing something new into the mix.

I do appreciate everyone's help! Thanks!