E-Mail Setup Issue

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

gary

E-Mail Setup Issue

Post by gary »

We just purchase PowerChurch at our church for the first time, and I am the Treasurer. Today I am starting to set up PowerChurch Version 9 and have encountered my first problem.

In the system setup options I correctly entered all of the data requested at the e-mail tab. When clicking the "test" button I get the following error message:

OLE IDispatch exception code 0 from CSMail.SMTPClient.1: A winsock error occured. WSAEINVAL[10022] calling Connect(). Invalid argument. Some invalid argument was supplied (for example, specifying an invalid level to the setsockopt function). In some instances, it also refers to the current state of the socket - for instance, calling accept on a socket that is not listening....

My PC connection is DSL, and I entered all of the PowerChurch e-mail lines exactly how they are entered into my normal Outlook program at "Tools, E-Mail Accounts". My Outlook test in "E-Mail Accounts" passed without a problem, but my PowerChurch test continues to generate the above error message.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to correct this?

Thanks,
Gary

NeilZ

Re: E-Mail Setup Issue

Post by NeilZ »

gary wrote:We just purchase PowerChurch at our church for the first time, and I am the Treasurer. Today I am starting to set up PowerChurch Version 9 and have encountered my first problem.

In the system setup options I correctly entered all of the data requested at the e-mail tab. When clicking the "test" button I get the following error message:

OLE IDispatch exception code 0 from CSMail.SMTPClient.1: A winsock error occured. WSAEINVAL[10022] calling Connect(). Invalid argument. Some invalid argument was supplied (for example, specifying an invalid level to the setsockopt function). In some instances, it also refers to the current state of the socket - for instance, calling accept on a socket that is not listening....

My PC connection is DSL, and I entered all of the PowerChurch e-mail lines exactly how they are entered into my normal Outlook program at "Tools, E-Mail Accounts". My Outlook test in "E-Mail Accounts" passed without a problem, but my PowerChurch test continues to generate the above error message.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to correct this?

Thanks,
Gary
There was an issue at one time with v8.5, where there was an additional download required to add some system files to some machines, I'm not sure if this is still the case.. You didn't say what version of Windows you're running this on; Win98 or WinME or Win XP ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jeffkoke

Re: E-Mail Setup Issue

Post by jeffkoke »

gary wrote:We just purchase PowerChurch at our church for the first time, and I am the Treasurer. Today I am starting to set up PowerChurch Version 9 and have encountered my first problem.
Gary,

Do you have the latest maintenance release applied??

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

gary

Post by gary »

I am running XP and I downloaded and installed the maintenance release (and re-booted my machine).

I will play around with this some more; maybe it is my firewall.

Thanks,
Gary

Dave_Dunlap

E-mail setup issue

Post by Dave_Dunlap »

Hi,

Our church has been running PowerChurch version 9 - upgraded a while back from an earlier version of PowerChurch. I was at the church today and found out that we have not been able to send e-mails from within PowerChurch. The error that we get seems to be the same as the one shown at the beginning of this thread. I verified that the e-mail settings in PowerChurch are the same as the user has for Outlook 2000 and that works fine. The workstation is running Windows XP.

The smtp server we are using is smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com - authentication is required (and configured properly in PowerChurch). I tried changing the smtp settings to smtp.sbcglobal.net without authentication (which I know also should work) and found that the error when testing in PowerChurch is different but it still fails.

My guess is that we are running the "original version" of PowerChurch 9 but I am not positive. I read through the Maintenance Release information here on the site but can't see that there is anything there that looks like it might be related to this problem.

Should installing the latest MR resolve this problem or should we be looking elsewhere ( eg something to do with upgrading from an older version, etc.)

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave Dunlap
Treasurer
Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Fullerton, CA
www.emmanuelfullerton.org

NeilZ

Re: E-mail setup issue

Post by NeilZ »

Dave_Dunlap wrote:Hi,

Our church has been running PowerChurch version 9 - upgraded a while back from an earlier version of PowerChurch. I was at the church today and found out that we have not been able to send e-mails from within PowerChurch. The error that we get seems to be the same as the one shown at the beginning of this thread. I verified that the e-mail settings in PowerChurch are the same as the user has for Outlook 2000 and that works fine. The workstation is running Windows XP.

The smtp server we are using is smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com - authentication is required (and configured properly in PowerChurch). I tried changing the smtp settings to smtp.sbcglobal.net without authentication (which I know also should work) and found that the error when testing in PowerChurch is different but it still fails.

My guess is that we are running the "original version" of PowerChurch 9 but I am not positive. I read through the Maintenance Release information here on the site but can't see that there is anything there that looks like it might be related to this problem.

Should installing the latest MR resolve this problem or should we be looking elsewhere ( eg something to do with upgrading from an older version, etc.)

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave Dunlap
Treasurer
Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Fullerton, CA
www.emmanuelfullerton.org
Speaking as a longtime user of PC+ ...

You can always tell if you have the latest maintenance release by the date listed when you go to HELP > ABOUT POWERCHURCH PLUS

The latest MR is 1/26/05 .. it is always a good idea to load the latest MR to see if there was a fix made that corrected the issue you're having.

That said, if this is a client machine that is having the problem, you may need to also download the NETSETUP9 update that can be found on the downloads page.

First install the updated NETSETUP9, then install the MR. Then go to each client and run the updated NETSETUP9 on each. Test to see if the issue is still occurring.

Let us know how it goes.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Dave_Dunlap

Post by Dave_Dunlap »

Neil,

Thanks for the information. Personally I'm new to PowerChurch but I understand we've been using it for years. I'm fairly sure that no Maintenance Releases have been applied since they upgraded to version 9 but will confirm that tomorrow.

Historically have there been any "issues" with installing Maintenance Releases of PowerChurch? (eg corrupting the database, etc.) (I have to ask - I've been in the software business for 12 years so I've seen some ugly things happen when applying updates.)

Thanks again!

Dave

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Dave_Dunlap wrote:Neil,

Thanks for the information. Personally I'm new to PowerChurch but I understand we've been using it for years. I'm fairly sure that no Maintenance Releases have been applied since they upgraded to version 9 but will confirm that tomorrow.

Historically have there been any "issues" with installing Maintenance Releases of PowerChurch? (eg corrupting the database, etc.) (I have to ask - I've been in the software business for 12 years so I've seen some ugly things happen when applying updates.)

Thanks again!

Dave
I've never had a problem with a MR corrupting the database. The Foxpro engine is very robust, and tends to protect data better than Access ever would (or ever could IMHO).

8)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Dave_Dunlap

Post by Dave_Dunlap »

Neil,

Thanks much for the quick response!

Dave

Dave_Dunlap

Post by Dave_Dunlap »

I understand that our office manager spoke with tech support this morning and applied all the MRs. They said that if it didn't fix the problem that it was a "yahoo problem".

Well, apparently it did not fix the problem and I have a hard time believing that it's a yahoo issue. Yahoo only comes into the mix in that the smtp server she's using with her SBC DSL connection is their default which is smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com - authentication is required and is set.

When I was up there earlier in this week I also tried smtp.sbcglobal.net with no authentication. Based on my experience with several of my own clients who have SBC DSL connections, that should work also, but it did not.

Her default e-mail client is Outlook which sends fine through the smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com server. I verified that the authentication for smtp is set the same in PowerChurch v9 as it is in her Outlook.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Dave Dunlap

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

I am unable to reproduce this problem. From this thread, it looks like there is more than one having this problem. Could I get more information about what is installed on the workstation? What Operating System (OS)? Any firewall and or anti-virus software?

If you want to call in and give this information to a tech, let the tech know about this forum post. Thanks.
Tracy

Dave_Dunlap

Post by Dave_Dunlap »

Tracy,

Thanks for the reply.

OS is Windows XP

Sending e-mail with Outlook works fine
Powerchurch fails when sending with the same settings as Outlook.

Norton Systemworks 2005 is installed - Norton AV is scanning outbound e-mails, at least when sent with Outlook.

Do you think the virus scanning of the outbound e-mails might be the issue?

The error we get is different depending on whether we configure PowerChurch to send using the SMTP server that requires authentication, or configure it to use an alternate SMTP server that does not require authentication.

Our Office Manager did speak with Tech Support last Friday and apply the latest MRs. She told me that Tech Support told her that if that did not resolve the problem that it must be a problem with the SMTP server. (I think the Tech support person might have thought she was trying to send through yahoo but that's not really the case. She's using the SMTP settings recommended by her DSL provider - SBC - smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com.)

I believe that the error we were getting when trying to send using that server was exactly the one that was listed at the beginning of this thread.

HTH,
Dave Dunlap

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

It might be something with the Norton System Works. From what I have been led to understand, Norton will capture the port used to send emails and filter all communication that goes through it. If you disable Norton from checking outgoing emails and the problem persist, call in, when at the workstation.
Tracy

Dave_Dunlap

Post by Dave_Dunlap »

Tracy,

Will test and advise. It will probably be sometime on Tuesday as our Office Manager only works part time.

Thanks,

Dave Dunlap