We are running the most current version of PowerChurch software.
We have never used the pass-through accounts, but so far this year we have had a higher than normal number of missionary speakers come through for which we took special offerings. It is really skewing our income and expense reports.
I would like to go back to the beginning of 2016 and fix this so it is correct going forward and am wondering what the best way to do this is. The contributions were all tied to a specific contribution fund (missionary guest speaker), but it went in as income and is showing up as an expense. Offerings were taken while the missionary was here speaking and deposited separately. Several donations came in with general church offerings after the fact from people that were not at the original service.
What is the best way to correct this whole situation? I know it is going to be a bit time consuming, especially since I have already reconciled with the bank statements, but I am willing to do whatever I need to to correct it.
Thank you in advance for the help!
Help with pass through account
Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support
Re: Help with pass through account
Actually, the first part of the fix is relatively simple:gospeltab wrote:We are running the most current version of PowerChurch software.
We have never used the pass-through accounts, but so far this year we have had a higher than normal number of missionary speakers come through for which we took special offerings. It is really skewing our income and expense reports.
I would like to go back to the beginning of 2016 and fix this so it is correct going forward and am wondering what the best way to do this is. The contributions were all tied to a specific contribution fund (missionary guest speaker), but it went in as income and is showing up as an expense. Offerings were taken while the missionary was here speaking and deposited separately. Several donations came in with general church offerings after the fact from people that were not at the original service.
What is the best way to correct this whole situation? I know it is going to be a bit time consuming, especially since I have already reconciled with the bank statements, but I am willing to do whatever I need to to correct it.
Thank you in advance for the help!
1. Create a Liability account - this will be used as the pass-thru account, you will use this instead of an expense account when you write checks.
2. Point the Contribution Account to this new liability account instead of the Income account.
3. Get the total from Contributions of all funds collected in that missionary contribution account for the year using the Contribution Funds Report.
4. Create a transaction that will move the amount listed in 3 from the income account to the liability account. Credit the Income account and debit the liability account. My usual advice, do a backup first, then enter and post the transaction so you have something to recover if the debit should have been a credit and vice versa. Once you get the liability account loaded properly and the income account reduced, press on to step 5.
Here's the part that may take a bit:
5. Find the check numbers you issued for the original pass-thru payments, then void them in Accounts Payable. Using the Manual Checks, enter the original check number but use the Liability account you setup for the pass-thru instead of any expense account originally used. Post to Accounts Payable, then Funds Accounting. Again, backup first !!
If you did everything right, the liability account should be at zero. If there are funds left, or a negative amount. Check to make sure that A) you got the right amount from the Contributions Funds Report or B) make sure that you entered the right numbers on the replacement checks.
Let us know how it goes.
Neil Zampella
Using PC+ since 1999.
Using PC+ since 1999.
Re: Help with pass through account
Thank you for your help!
And, wow! Most of it is going to be easier than I thought.
I typically don't have anything to do with the contributions. I have printed contribution reports and fund reports to cross reference and make sure all of the dollar amounts are correct.
It has now gotten slightly more complicated. After looking at the contribution statements, I am now realizing that the person entering contributions has not been entering all of the donations into the correct funds. Instead of the Guest Speaker Fund some have been entered in the general missions fund. There are a handful of individual donations that were entered incorrectly. Is there an easy way to fix this problem?
And, wow! Most of it is going to be easier than I thought.
I typically don't have anything to do with the contributions. I have printed contribution reports and fund reports to cross reference and make sure all of the dollar amounts are correct.
It has now gotten slightly more complicated. After looking at the contribution statements, I am now realizing that the person entering contributions has not been entering all of the donations into the correct funds. Instead of the Guest Speaker Fund some have been entered in the general missions fund. There are a handful of individual donations that were entered incorrectly. Is there an easy way to fix this problem?
Re: Help with pass through account
Well, you can correct those Contribution entries by reversing those entries, then entering correct Contribution entries for the same date & amount but using the correct Contribution fund then posting Contributions to update the Contributions module then post those created transactions sitting in Funds Accounting to update FA.gospeltab wrote:Thank you for your help!
And, wow! Most of it is going to be easier than I thought.
I typically don't have anything to do with the contributions. I have printed contribution reports and fund reports to cross reference and make sure all of the dollar amounts are correct.
It has now gotten slightly more complicated. After looking at the contribution statements, I am now realizing that the person entering contributions has not been entering all of the donations into the correct funds. Instead of the Guest Speaker Fund some have been entered in the general missions fund. There are a handful of individual donations that were entered incorrectly. Is there an easy way to fix this problem?
Neil Zampella
Using PC+ since 1999.
Using PC+ since 1999.