Printing Checks

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Post Reply
Greghc48
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:23 am

Printing Checks

Post by Greghc48 »

We are looking at using Dynamic Systems checks (recommended by Powerchurch) and printing them using version 11.55. From what I can tell, we need to enter an accounts payable invoice and print checks from that information. (Looks like computer printed checks will not work with the "manual check" option).

2 questions for the group -

1) Is there an option to adjust check printing fields within Powerchurch like you can with W2 and 1099 forms?
2) With prenumbered checks (just like that of manual checks), Powerchurch will again print the check number on the check. Thus, we wind up with 2 check numbers on the check. Probably no issue as long as the numbering is clear. But....... How do other users deal with that?
May be silly questions --- but this area is new to me.....

Thanks - Greg

NeilZ
Posts: 10587
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:20 am
Location: Dexter NM
Contact:

Re: Printing Checks

Post by NeilZ »

Greghc48 wrote:We are looking at using Dynamic Systems checks (recommended by Powerchurch) and printing them using version 11.55. From what I can tell, we need to enter an accounts payable invoice and print checks from that information. (Looks like computer printed checks will not work with the "manual check" option).
Correct .. you have to create an 'invoice' ... I basically use Manual Checks for EFT payments, and if a check had to be hand written in an emergency.

2 questions for the group -

1) Is there an option to adjust check printing fields within Powerchurch like you can with W2 and 1099 forms?
Yes, but !! Its not that easy.

You'll have to follow the directions starting on page 383 of the Manual (which as of the last MR is also available in Adobe Acrobat format in the \Powerchurch\PCPLUS115 directory)

The good news is that the laser checks will normally work without having to modify anything.
2) With prenumbered checks (just like that of manual checks), Powerchurch will again print the check number on the check. Thus, we wind up with 2 check numbers on the check. Probably no issue as long as the numbering is clear. But....... How do other users deal with that?
May be silly questions --- but this area is new to me.....

Thanks - Greg
You can either live with it ... which I do as it does reinforce that the proper check number was written to the vendor. Of you can follow the directions as mentioned above to create a 'custom check' format and remove the extra number.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Greghc48
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:23 am

Re: Printing Checks

Post by Greghc48 »

Thanks again Neal!

I think I'll live with the duplicate number as you suggest. From what I've seen, it's cumbersome to create custom formats....

Will go forth and do good things with the computer checks...!

Greg

NeilZ
Posts: 10587
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:20 am
Location: Dexter NM
Contact:

Re: Printing Checks

Post by NeilZ »

Greghc48 wrote:Thanks again Neal!

I think I'll live with the duplicate number as you suggest. From what I've seen, it's cumbersome to create custom formats....

Will go forth and do good things with the computer checks...!

Greg
Actually .. removing the check number from printing is very easy, its the only thing you need to touch. That said, if you're not used to doing it, it can be daunting :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Greghc48
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:23 am

Re: Printing Checks

Post by Greghc48 »

Neal,

I "checked" on this last night and found how to remove the check number from printing. Will run a test before implementing fully. Just want to thank you again for your help.
Thx!! You've really made a difference for us....!
Greg

tborgal
Posts: 863
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:55 pm
Location: New England Bible Church, Andover, MA
Contact:

Re: Printing Checks

Post by tborgal »

I am assuming you are using a three part check. In my case I removed the check number form the check itself and left it on the two stubs. This gives me the verification of the number that Neil was talking about, but does not duplicate the number on the check portion itself.
Tom

Greghc48
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:23 am

Re: Printing Checks

Post by Greghc48 »

Thanks Tom. When I went into the custom print screen as Neal mentioned, I forgot to consider the 2 stubs as you mentioned. That is a good idea to just remove the number from the check but leave the stubs with correct check number. Will do that. Thx to all for your help.

Post Reply