Directory listing of children with 2 sets of parents

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

MarthaMWalsh

Directory listing of children with 2 sets of parents

Post by MarthaMWalsh »

Hello,
I'm learning how to do a custom picture directory. We have some instances of children whose biological parents are divorced and (possibly) remarried and share custody - and both sets of parents are active members in the church. Everyone would like to have the children listed in both directory entries (they're in both pictures). Is there a better way to do this than creating 2 personal profiles for a child (one in each family)? Seems that is going to cause confusion in things like Sunday School attendance.

Thank you,
Martha Walsh

We have PC Plus 11.55, Windows 10.

NeilZ

Re: Directory listing of children with 2 sets of parents

Post by NeilZ »

MarthaMWalsh wrote:Hello,
I'm learning how to do a custom picture directory. We have some instances of children whose biological parents are divorced and (possibly) remarried and share custody - and both sets of parents are active members in the church. Everyone would like to have the children listed in both directory entries (they're in both pictures). Is there a better way to do this than creating 2 personal profiles for a child (one in each family)? Seems that is going to cause confusion in things like Sunday School attendance.

Thank you,
Martha Walsh

We have PC Plus 11.55, Windows 10.
Two options:

1. Create the personal profiles under the other family, but DO NOT add those profiles to any activities
2. Save the custom directory to Word, and edit the file to add the kids to that family.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

MarthaMWalsh

Post by MarthaMWalsh »

Thank you.

Option 1 sounds like what we've been trying to do, with some difficulty. There are 2 profiles with the same person's name, one of which is the one to update for activities, etc. The way I see to get the right one to update is to look at a data field inside the record, which is cumbersome and so far error-prone (an extra step that gets forgotten). "Find" goes to the "first" one of the profiles; "Locate" lists them both. What determines the order they are in? Is there something we can do to pick which one is "first"?

Hadn't thought of Option 2 - it's been suggested for other problems that so far I've solved otherwise. Might need it, hope not to add that manual step.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

MarthaMWalsh wrote:Thank you.

Option 1 sounds like what we've been trying to do, with some difficulty. There are 2 profiles with the same person's name, one of which is the one to update for activities, etc. The way I see to get the right one to update is to look at a data field inside the record, which is cumbersome and so far error-prone (an extra step that gets forgotten). "Find" goes to the "first" one of the profiles; "Locate" lists them both. What determines the order they are in? Is there something we can do to pick which one is "first"?

Hadn't thought of Option 2 - it's been suggested for other problems that so far I've solved otherwise. Might need it, hope not to add that manual step.
The system finds the first one that was added based on the date added I believe, and an internal index key. Not much you can do about that.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

MarthaMWalsh

Post by MarthaMWalsh »

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info.