Online Report Statements

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

BroDave

Online Report Statements

Post by BroDave »

I tried searching for an answer, so if the information is available on the forum, I can't find it.

When a donor gives to our church through online giving, or e-giving, it is my understanding that the company doing the transactions gives receipts, and at the end of the year, the donor can download a donation statement for their year-end tax exemption.
When I send year-end donation statement reports to the donors, these reports have the same online contributions listed on them.
Question:
Is it my responsibility to give them a report that doesn't duplicate what they gave through the e-giving company? I do have to input the online donations, so I can pay the church's tithe, but I don't see a way to report all except online donations on the report.
David Sheldon, Treasurer
Lighthouse Baptist Church of North Florida
Bryceville, FL

NeilZ

Re: Online Report Statements

Post by NeilZ »

BroDave wrote:I tried searching for an answer, so if the information is available on the forum, I can't find it.

When a donor gives to our church through online giving, or e-giving, it is my understanding that the company doing the transactions gives receipts, and at the end of the year, the donor can download a donation statement for their year-end tax exemption.
When I send year-end donation statement reports to the donors, these reports have the same online contributions listed on them.
Question:
Is it my responsibility to give them a report that doesn't duplicate what they gave through the e-giving company? I do have to input the online donations, so I can pay the church's tithe, but I don't see a way to report all except online donations on the report.
It is the church's responsibility to give the donor a Contribution Statement, its not required but per IRS Pub 1828:
A donor cannot claim a tax deduction for any contribution of cash, a check or other monetary gift made on or after January 1, 2007, unless the donor maintains a record of the contribution in the form of either a bank record (such as a cancelled check) or a written communication from the charity (such as a receipt or a letter) showing the name of the charity, the date of the contribution and the amount of the contribution.
Based on that, if they keep the cancelled check, or bank statement, they don't need the Contribution Statement That said, I would still send a complete list of giving to each donor. The reason being, its up to the donor to do their taxes. If they wish to, um, fudge and use both to claim deductions, they aren't listening to the message each Sunday.

The IRS publication goes on to state:
A donor can’t claim a tax deduction for any single contribution of $250 or more unless the donor obtains a contemporaneous, written acknowledgment of the contribution from the recipient church or religious organization. A church or religious organization that doesn’t acknowledge a contribution incurs no penalty; but without a written acknowledgment, the donor can’t claim a tax deduction.
So if the person gives more than $249 in a single contribution, they need a Statement in order to claim that for a deduction. Doesn't matter if its one check a month and is their normal giving, they need to have a statement to claim it.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

BroDave

Post by BroDave »

Thanks, Neil

I wasn’t concerned that they might cheat on their taxes for the reason you mentioned, just trying to avoid confusion.

The information you gave is very much appreciated, too. I knew some of it, but you clarified it in my mind.

God bless you for your help, any may the wind always be at your back. :-)

David Sheldon, Treasurer
Lighthouse Baptist Church of North Florida
Bryceville, FL

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

BroDave wrote:Thanks, Neil

I wasn’t concerned that they might cheat on their taxes for the reason you mentioned, just trying to avoid confusion.

The information you gave is very much appreciated, too. I knew some of it, but you clarified it in my mind.

God bless you for your help, any may the wind always be at your back. :-)

Dave, I understand .. my attempt at a small joke :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.