Voided cheques from 2016 in bank rec

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Post Reply
pennymacpherson
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 pm

Voided cheques from 2016 in bank rec

Post by pennymacpherson »

Hello,

I just took over new books for this church and there were some outstanding issues that I am trying to reconcile. I need to post voided checks from 2016-2018 and am only able to go back 12 months. The entries appear in unposted transactions with the correct dates, however, when I go to post the entries, I can only go back to as far as March 2018. (It is now Oct 2019). How do I reconcile this? Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
P
p.s. Board meeting is fast approaching! :wall:

pennymacpherson
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 pm

Re: Voided cheques from 2016 in bank rec

Post by pennymacpherson »

Trial

NeilZ
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:20 am
Location: Connellsville, PA
Contact:

Re: Voided cheques from 2016 in bank rec

Post by NeilZ »

pennymacpherson wrote:Hello,

I just took over new books for this church and there were some outstanding issues that I am trying to reconcile. I need to post voided checks from 2016-2018 and am only able to go back 12 months. The entries appear in unposted transactions with the correct dates, however, when I go to post the entries, I can only go back to as far as March 2018. (It is now Oct 2019). How do I reconcile this? Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
P
p.s. Board meeting is fast approaching! :wall:
It appears you're using a version prior to version 12. In Version 12 you can reopen previous months, however, in earlier versions once the month is closed, its permanent.

The only work around is to change the dates of the voided checks to the 1st of March 2018, and add explanation in the notes area of the transactions why the void is dated. This will properly update the system to reflect the correct balances. I would do a backup of the accounting files to before doing this so you can back out of any changes if the results are not as expected.

If you do decide to follow that advice I suggest that you get in touch with the finance person on your board to let them know what is happening, and then advise them to upgrade to version 12. The upgrade is relatively inexpensive, and easy to do. In the meantime, i would go into the accounting setup (I'm assuming you have admin permissions, if not, find the person who does) and change the amount of open months to the max of 18. That won't help you now, as I said once they're closed, they're closed, but if you can't upgrade it will give you an additional 6 months you can keep open.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

pennymacpherson
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 pm

Re: Voided cheques from 2016 in bank rec

Post by pennymacpherson »

Thanks.
I am using PowerChurch online. I was advised to go to accounting, Fund Accounting, setup, and ropen the months that I needed. It worked!

NeilZ
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:20 am
Location: Connellsville, PA
Contact:

Re: Voided cheques from 2016 in bank rec

Post by NeilZ »

pennymacpherson wrote:Thanks.
I am using PowerChurch online. I was advised to go to accounting, Fund Accounting, setup, and ropen the months that I needed. It worked!
Aha ... that would have made my answer a lot easier since v12 does have that capability.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

lauragilbert
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: Voided cheques from 2016 in bank rec

Post by lauragilbert »

I have the same issue!!

I have version 12 but my question is this: What happens to my current month's report when I void a check in a previous year??
Not to mention the past reports that are now off. I guess I will have to document and write notes but I am working in the last month of my fiscal year. There is no 13th period option for adjustments.

Thank you!
Laura

NeilZ
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:20 am
Location: Connellsville, PA
Contact:

Re: Voided cheques from 2016 in bank rec

Post by NeilZ »

lauragilbert wrote:I have the same issue!!

I have version 12 but my question is this: What happens to my current month's report when I void a check in a previous year??
Not to mention the past reports that are now off. I guess I will have to document and write notes but I am working in the last month of my fiscal year. There is no 13th period option for adjustments.

Thank you!
Laura
The only thing that happens is that you'll see the amount of the check in the checking account and net assets. Nothing else will change in the Income & Expense, but you will see an increase in assets.

This is why you don't have to close months, for these types of adjustments. As long as you indicate in the notes section of the transaction why the check was voided and not reissued, you should be fine.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Post Reply