Groups in a custom directory

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

CrossPoint Toledo

Groups in a custom directory

Post by CrossPoint Toledo »

I have created a custom directory, and people are grouped into families. Family members (detail) are listed line by line under each family (group). I want to keep all family members on the same page, and not have them bridge over two pages.

Using "start group on new page when less than..." in the group header, I can make this happen. But I have to set it to be large enough to accommodate the family with the most records. This creates a large gap at the bottom of each page.

Is there a way to make the report advance to a new page only if the detail records would span over two pages?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Groups in a custom directory

Post by Zorak »

Unfortunately, there isn't. You just have to estimate the space needed at the bottom of the page to not split up a family.

CrossPoint Toledo

Post by CrossPoint Toledo »

Zorak wrote:Unfortunately, there isn't. You just have to estimate the space needed at the bottom of the page to not split up a family.
OK thank you. I've been thinking along the lines of this: at the beginning of the group band, find out how many records are in the family, then pagebreak if more than say 6. I haven't been able to find a variable that returns that number, though.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

In the Group Header, none of the Detail records (family members) have been processed yet, so it wouldn't know how many there are.

If there is a way to hack the report writer to get around the "Start group on new page when less than" setting, we haven't found it in all these years.