Sort only on the street name of address1

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

John Dykema

Sort only on the street name of address1

Post by John Dykema »

Hi, Using ver 11.1 on Win10 Pro. I need to print a list of members by street name. When I sort it I get a list sorted by the house number as well street and results are all over the place.
I did sort it by city & address1 so it's narrowed down a bit but not good enough for our purpose. Is there a variable I can make or other to eliminate the first 4 digits of the Address1 and then sort only the alpha characters? Of course, when I print it out I need to show the house number too. There's also a problem with 3 digit and 4 digit house number. We have the list and making it work. (Don't spend too much time on this one, might not be worth it?)
John

NeilZ

Re: Sort only on the street name of address1

Post by NeilZ »

Too bad you don't have the ZIP+4 number on all records, that would probably help.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

The sort happens when the data is selected, so it isn't possible to do anything in the report output (variables, grouping) to affect the sort order.

The address field is alphanumeric, so the sort order would be [space], 0, 1 Street Name, 10000000 Street Name, 11 Street Name, 2 Street Name, etc.

Something you could try doing is exporting the data from PowerChurch into an Excel spreadsheet, then duplicate the address column and do a text to columns on the address field, delimited by space. This would give you the street number in one column and then the street name and extension in separate columns. Delete those and you have the street number in a column by itself that you can format as number and sort by.

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

Zorak, that was the perfect solution. Once i figured out the column process it worked like a charm.
Thanks very much. John.