How Do I Update My Virginia Tax Tables?
Where do I find the tax tables?
For VA tax tables, you will need the current Employer Withholding Instructions from the VA Department of Revenue. How VA withholding taxes are calculated is also described on the Employer Withholding Tax Calculator page of the VA Department of Revenue website.
Which tables do I use?
Use the percentage formula for computing tax to be withheld. Figure 1 shows an example of this calculation method that is listed on the VA Department of Revenue website.
Note that the figures shown in this document are for demonstration purposes only, and may not be current. Please consult the current publication for the most up-to-date information. Though the figures change periodically, the method of calculation should remain the same. If the calculation method has changed for this state please notify the webmaster.
Figure 1 - 2008 Withholding Formula and Tables
How to setup/update the tables in PowerChurch Plus
To setup/update PowerChurch Plus with the state tax tables shown in Figure 1 above, select the Accounting menu, Payroll, Setup, then Maintain Tax Tables.
Click Add to enter a new table, or use the Find/Locate buttons to select an existing VA tax table to update. When adding a new table, you will be prompted for the type of tax table you're adding. Select State: Virginia. For each table, enter the following information:
- Description: Enter a unique name to identify the tax table (for example, "VA State Tax").
- Tax type: The type of tax in which this table applies. In this instance, select State Tax.
- Standard deduction: Enter the amount for the standard deduction.
- Personal/dependent exemption: Enter the amount to be multiplied by the number of exemptions claimed.
- Age/blindness exemption: Enter the amount to be multiplied by the number of exemptions claimed for age 65 and over and/or blindness.
- Round tax to nearest whole dollar: If required, check this box to round the calculated tax amount to the nearest whole dollar.
- Annual Rate Table: Click the Annual Rate Table tab and enter the maximum amount and percentage for each bracket. From Figure 1, enter the figures under the "But not over" column, followed by the tax rate percentage for each bracket.
When you are done, the screen should look like this:
Figure 2a - VA State Tax Table (Deduction and Exemption Information)
Figure 2b - VA State Tax Table (Annual Rate Table)
PCPlus V 11/11.1, PCPlus V 11.5/11.55, PowerChurch Online
state tax table, tax table, taxes
Last updated: 09/16/2019