How Do I Update My California Tax Tables?
Where do I find the tax tables?
You can find CA tax tables, on the CA Employment Development Department website.
Which tables do I use?
Use the annual tables from Method B - Exact Calculation Method withholding schedule. Figure 1 shows an example.
Note that the figures shown in this document are for demonstration purposes only, and may not be current. Please consult the current publication for the most up-to-date information. Though the figures change periodically, the method of calculation should remain the same. If the calculation method has changed for this state please notify the webmaster.
Figure 1 - 2016 Annual Percentage Table (Single Rates)
How to setup/update the tables in PowerChurch Plus
To setup/update PowerChurch Plus with the state tax tables shown in Figure 1 above, select the Accounting menu, Payroll, Setup, then Maintain Tax Tables. A separate table will need to be created for the single, married, and head of household table rates.
Click Add to enter a new table, or use the Find/Locate buttons to select an existing CA tax table to update. When adding a new table, you will be prompted for the type of tax table you're adding. Select State: California. For each table, enter the following information:
- Description: Enter a unique name to identify the tax table (for example, "CA State Tax - Single").
- Tax type: The type of tax in which this table applies. In this instance, select State Tax.
- Table 1 - Low Income Exemption Table: 0-1 Annual Allowance and 2 or More Annual Allowances. For single or head of household, there is only one rate, so you would enter the same amount in both boxes. Figure 2 shows an example of Table 1.
Figure 2 - 2016 Low Income Exemption Table
- Table 2 - Estimated Deduction Table: Enter the annual amount for 1 additional withholding allowance. Figure 3 shows an example of Table 2.
Figure 3 - 2016 Estimated Deduction Table
- Table 3 - Standard Deduction Table: Enter the annual standard deduction amount from Table 3 (see Figure 4) for 0-1 Annual Allowance and 2 or More Annual Allowances. The single and head of household tables have only one rate, so you would enter the same amount in both boxes.
Figure 4 - 2016 Standard Deduction Table
- Table 4 - Exemption Allowance Table: Enter the annual exemption allowance amount for 1 Annual Exemption from Table 4 (See Figure 5).
Figure 5 - 2016 Exemption Allowance Table
- Round tax to nearest whole dollar: If required, check this box to round the calculated tax amount to the nearest whole dollar.
- Annual Rate Table: Click the Annual Rate Table tab. From the Tax Rate Table (Table 5), enter the figures from the "But not over" column followed by the tax rate percentage for each bracket.
When you are done, the screen should look like this:
Figure 6a - CA State Single Tax Table (Deduction and Exemption Information)
Figure 6b - CA State Single Tax Table (Annual Rate Table)
Follow the instructions just described for the married and head of household withholding tables.
PCPlus V 11/11.1, PCPlus V 11.5/11.55, PowerChurch Online
state tax table, tax table, taxes
Last updated: 03/29/2021