How Do I Update My Maryland Tax Tables?
Where do I find the tax tables?
Which tables do I use?
MD uses a percentage method of withholding. Withholding is a combination of the state income tax rate and local taxes. The local rate is based on the jurisdiction in which the employee lives. There is information on the Maryland Business Taxes website that will help you determine the rate for each jurisdiction. Figure 1 shows an example for the 3.05 Percent Rate. Note that PowerChurch Plus uses an annualized method of calculation, therefore annual rate tables should be used.
Note that the figures shown in this document are for demonstration purposes only, and may not be current. Please consult the current publication for the most up-to-date information. Though the figures change periodically, the method of calculation should remain the same. If the calculation method has changed for this state please notify the webmaster.
Figure 1 - 2015 Annual Percentage Tables (3.05 Percent Local)
How to setup/update the tables in PowerChurch Plus
To setup/update PowerChurch Plus with the state tax tables shown in Figure 1 above, select the Accounting menu, Payroll, Setup, then Maintain Tax Tables. A separate table will need to be created for the single and married table rates of each jurisdiction you will need..
Click Add to enter a new table, or use the Find/Locate buttons to select an existing MD tax table to update. When adding a new table, you will be prompted for the type of tax table you're adding. Select State: Maryland. For each table, enter the following information:
- Description: Enter a unique name to identify the tax table (for example, "MD State Tax-Single 3.05").
- Tax type: The type of tax in which this table applies. In this instance, select State Tax.
- Standard deduction: Enter the annual amount for the standard deduction. The standard deduction is a percentage of the gross income with a minimum and maximum. Figure 2 shows an example.
Figure 2 - 2015 Standard Deduction and Withholding Allowance
- Withholding allowance: Enter the annual amount for one exemption.
- Do not withhold on gross wages less than: If wages are below a minimum value, taxes are not to be withheld. Enter annual minimum amount which is found in the rate table (see Figure 1).
- Round tax to nearest whole dollar: If required, check this box to round the calculated tax amount to the nearest whole dollar.
- Annual Rate Table: Click the Annual Rate Table tab. From the rate table shown in Figure 1, enter the maximum amount shown under the "But not over" column followed by the tax rate percentage for each bracket.
When you are done, the screen should look like this:
Figure 3a - MD State Single Tax Table (Deduction and Exemption Information)
Figure 3b - MD State Single Tax Table (Annual Rate Table)
Follow the instructions just described for the married rates. Create additional tables for each jurisdiction that you will need.
PCPlus V 11/11.1, PCPlus V 11.5/11.55, PowerChurch Online
state tax table, tax table, taxes
Last updated: 01/05/2017