How Do I Update My North Carolina Tax Tables?
Please note: North Carolina changed from a traditional bracket type tax table calculation in 2013 to a flat percentage method for 2014. Existing NC State tax tables will need to be updated to the new format and assigned to your employees' state tax deduction items. PowerChurch Plus contains two tax table types, State: North Carolina-Pre 2014 and State: North Carolina-Post 2014.
Where do I find the tax tables?
Which tables do I use?
Use the annualized percentage formula tables method of withholding. Figure 1 shows an example.
Note that the figures shown in this document are for demonstration purposes only, and may not be current. Please consult the current publication for the most up-to-date information. Though the figures change periodically, the method of calculation should remain the same. If the calculation method has changed for this state please notify the webmaster.
Figure 1 - 2015 Annual Percentage Tables
How to setup/update the tables in PowerChurch Plus
To setup/update PowerChurch Plus with the state tax tables shown in Figure 1 above, select the Accounting menu, Payroll, Setup, then Maintain Tax Tables. Two separate tables will need to be created. One for the single, married, and qualifying widow(er), and a second for head of household.
Click Add to enter a new table, or use the Find/Locate buttons to select an existing NC tax table to update. When adding a new table, you will be prompted for the type of tax table you're adding. Select State: North Carolina-Post 2014. For each table, enter the following information:
- Description: Enter a unique name to identify the tax table (for example, "NC State - Single/Married").
- Tax type: The type of tax in which this table applies. In this instance, select State Tax.
- Standard deduction: Enter the amount for the standard deduction. This varies by single/married or head of household table. This rate is found in the NC-30 publication under the section that describes the annualized wages method of tax withholding.
- Withholding allowance: Enter the annual amount for one withholding allowance. Again, found in publication NC-30 (see Figure 1).
- Percentage: Enter the flat percentage amount to be withheld.
- Round tax to nearest whole dollar: Check this box to round the calculated tax amount to the nearest whole dollar.
When you are done, the screen should look like this:
Figure 2 - NC State Single/Married Tax Table
PCPlus V 11/11.1, PCPlus V 11.5/11.55, PowerChurch Online
state tax table, tax table, taxes
Last updated: 09/16/2019